iLOK warning

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I've been using plugins with ilOK 'security' for some time and seen several folks saying that they will never use iLOK products again, etc.

I have, until now, been OK and wondered what the fuss is all about.

A couple of hours ago all of my iLOK plugins stopped working (just when I really need some of them). Nothing has changed on my computer and it is a very clean install, well maintained, etc. iLOK has decided that I now have a different computer (with no iLOK licenses) and my 'old' computer with all the licenses is inaccessible. I have contacted support who (worryingly) say that this can sometimes happen (Windows updates, etc). I now have to go through a process of reporting the 'old' computer unusable and all of the original plugin providers have to approve (individually) that the licenses can be disabled and re-enabled on the 'new' computer.

There is no guarantee that the providers will do this and (as it is a weekend) I suspect that I will be waiting for at least a few days (maybe more for some).

This has really put me off using iLOK in the future....

Just thought I'd put my experience out there.

CHEERS

Sorry for your trouble

Yup- everything is good until it isnt...I made a similar post a year or so ago...a lot of licences were back in a few days but several take a few weeks, the longest took some chasing (via ilok) and was over a month. Most people posted to keep your licences on a dongle...it is safer but no less of a PITA and an ilok 3 is almost £50 and nothing to say you wont need an ilkok 4 in 6 months (my hardware dongle is a 1 and nothing much works on that now)

Main thing is not to buy anything that only gives you 1 licence - if you have 2 or 3 you can always be strait back up whilst you wait...

If ilok let you remove a computer and reissued back the licences there would be no problems at all....but that too easy!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That's one of the reason i avoid iLok, and i strongly prefer to use software that use serial number or key file (with no challenge/response)
I'm tired to give money to have hassles just because i'm a legit customer, while who use pirated software do that without that hassles.

I had that kind of issues too, and i've learned the lesson, and i also went further so not just iLok, and what happened with Waves should have been a big warning to everyone, but i see people just to wake up when it's too late.

So i vote with my wallet respectful and user friendly companies that SELL me software instead of renting for something they can deny me or change whatever policy for whatever reason

I've had this happen as well after a BIOS update. It is unacceptable, and the fact that iLok just shrug it off is infuriating. But there is nothing you can you do, iLok doesn't care.

Ok, let's be clear here. Most people, myself included, who like iLok use a dongle. The dongle avoids this mess because it doesn't change. Not using a dongle means that you are using challenge response against a computer ID and it's no different from any other computer ID in that many different kinds of changes will trigger a problem. I love iLok with a dongle, I would NEVER use computer authorization for iLok, not even for live work. Computer authorization has all the downsides of iLok combined with all of the downsides of C/R.

Can a dongle fail? Yes, is it rare, yes, it's super rare. Far more rare than your computer having an identity crisis.

I keep all that junk on a hardware key and avoid new things that use iLok (originally got one for waves). I only have a couple plug-in that I really need that require iLok at this point, but with that being said, the hardware is far safer. It's a lame system but it's been stable in all my experience (15 years or so).
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I only use the dongle and never use machine authorisation. You’d be in the same situation if you had a hard drive/hardware failure without a backup.

RobGee wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:01 pm I only use the dongle and never use machine authorisation. You’d be in the same situation if you had a hard drive/hardware failure without a backup.
Same. I'll use machine auths for demos only.

The permanent licenses end up on the hardware dongle. How many times have you had a PC, hard drive, or other component just randomly fail on you? It's insane to me that iLok machine auths would even be a thing.

But I thought I read someone say yesterday that you could remotely deactivate the old PC with iLok and get the licenses back. Is that not true? I have no idea.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:09 pm ....
The permanent licenses end up on the hardware dongle. How many times have you had a PC, hard drive, or other component just randomly fail on you? It's insane to me that iLok machine auths would even be a thing.
My thoughts too.
rsp
sound sculptist

I use iLok and I am not phazed by this anecdote. I also use not 1 but 2 keys for my licenses to help avoid the rare issue. Generally I agree with ghettosynth's post. Sorry this happened to you. Hope you get it worked out soon. I will continue to use and rely on iLok because it offers more benefits than risks to me.

I agree ...I have 3 keys (oldest to the newest) (harddrive changes, motherboard changes, computer changes and windows changes) and never had a problem.

I've used hardware iLok for over 20 years and have never had a problem with it.
A well-behaved signature.

I have nightmares about using machine authorization. I never used it and never will.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

iLOK is awful. Similar situation. Also a shout out to just how bad AIR's customer service is. All other developers reinstated my plugins within a few days (even this is frustratingly long), I've been waiting over a week for AIR. Nothing. It's a ridiculous system that needs to stop.

SLiC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:34 pm Yup- everything is good until it isnt...
So true.

i have for example now USB Hub problems.
its only 2-3 brands where this leads to problems.
feels, like these would ping more often home (to my i-lok center on the PC, i´d guess)
2-3 brands make trouble, if i install a I-lok protected plugin, while my Host is running.

On the other side, i went thru two PC changes (Mac) within very short time.
Then you think I-lok was a godsend. ( having everything on the USB dongle)

FAct is: I could not live without these I-lok plugins !
and: the time it takes to restore everything else vs. a PC-change IS insane.

SLiC wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:34 pm Main thing is not to buy anything that only gives you 1 licence - if you have 2 or 3 you can always be strait back up whilst you wait...
quoted for truth !
I look at you Zynaptic.

in fact, a VERY GOOD Argument vs. these screwed up dudes.

Return to “Effects”