VST Plugin Preset/Program confusion.

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay,

1. I insert a vst filter into a track. The information for the vst plugin info tab indicates that it has 10 programs available for selection, each with it's own text name.

2. I add a midi clip to the track and insert program change values at the cursor. The menu shows 127 values for the program change event. Included in the list are the 10 programs names listed in the plugin info tab.

3. I insert a program change value of 4 into the clip and playback the clip. I see the program change is sent to the plugin but the plugin's program never changes to the fourth program/preset.

My assumption here is that for program changes, Tracktion displays whatever program/preset information the filter returns when initializing the plugin. BUT, it does not switch the program when it receives a program change. This seems contradictory and un-intuitive to me. Definitely not WYSIWIG. I assume the rest of this functionality will appear when the MIDI automation support is added in version 2.0.

Is this correct? Am I missing something?
--taji

taji wrote: 3. I insert a program change value of 4 into the clip and playback the clip. I see the program change is sent to the plugin but the plugin's program never changes to the fourth program/preset.
Does the plugin actually change program at all?

It might be that the plugin is not repsonding to teh program change, or it could be that the plugin is not notifying Tracktion when it does change program.

It is also possible that Tracktion is not responding to the update, but I've not seen this behviour from tracktion so I'm more inclined to suspect one of the other two possibilities.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

Does the plugin actually change program at all?

It might be that the plugin is not repsonding to teh program change, or it could be that the plugin is not notifying Tracktion when it does change program.

It is also possible that Tracktion is not responding to the update, but I've not seen this behviour from tracktion so I'm more inclined to suspect one of the other two possibilities.
No the plugin does not change the program at all. The plugin I'm using doesn't respond to the MIDI Program Change messages. I know that some plugins do, but the majority of them don't. I was hoping Tracktion would interpret the PC message so that it would tell the plugin to change the program just as if I did it manually using the program drop down list in the plugin info tab.

The CONSOLE host program (www.console.jp/eng) does this (but with CC's instead of PC's ).

Basically I want Tracktion to automate plugin presets with MIDI. I assume this is a v.2 feature?
--taji

taji wrote:Basically I want Tracktion to automate plugin presets with MIDI. I assume this is a v.2 feature?
Possibly. I'm not sure I've never seen it requested, but if you mail Jules, I'm sure it could be.

Well actually, I requested this a long time ago but Jules stated that it wasn't possible due to vst spec restrictions. At best it would be a very unstable feature :(

As some other host seems to cope with it, maybe my request wasn't clear enough, though. :?

well that lets me know why I could never get virtual guitarist to respond to program changes :shock:

Hosts that have preset automation via midi:

1. Console (www.console.jp/eng)
2. DSOUND RTPlayer (www.dsound1.com).
3. SynthEdit
4. AudioMulch?

I e-mailed Jules, waiting for a response...
--taji

amoebe wrote:Well actually, I requested this a long time ago but Jules stated that it wasn't possible due to vst spec restrictions. At best it would be a very unstable feature :(

Ahh yeah, that's right. He felt that the fact that some VST plugins take an inordinate amount of time (and occassionally a fair few cpu cycles) to chnage presets would cause people problems. I'd forgotten that.

I'm not sure how valid this argument is though, as plenty of hardware devices also take a while to chnage program. It's just somethig the user has to get used to.

Return to “Tracktion”