Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

ToddlerTN wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:44 pm Former pro annual subscriber here, just checking in every few months hoping Roland has come up with anything new to give me a reason to return. I’d settle for just fixing the existing bugs in the lifetime products I own. *shrug*
haven't seen a thing new in a very long time....got plenty of stuff to work with roland and otherwise.

Apropos of absolutely nothing and with no one expected to even hear this, I will state, plainly:

I expect two new synths a year.

[shrug] There's little more to say than that. I don't give a flying !@#$ about patches, though I recognize some people do, but if your intended audience includes people like me, then hear me: I don't care about patch libraries. That's not to say I won't buy them, but they make NO difference to me in terms of buying a subscription. So, we're left with synths (and for this topic, I'm going to include drums as synths).

I'm not going to subscribe to a service if all they're doing is updates (point revs) of existing synths. I'm not going to subscribe if their "new synths" include repackaging of old synths (like Galaxias). I'm simply not interested in that, either.

I'm also not going to subscribe if you release one synth a year. Why would I? I'll just buy the synth if I want it, and skip it if I don't. Easy. (...and, to be clear: I am NOT going to buy your synth if you FORCE a subscription for that one synth. That's robbery. Don't try it.)

I will subscribe if you release two synths a year. There's a reasonable chance that I'll want 50% of most new synths (at least from a quality source like Roland), so I'm paying for at least the one I want, and I'll happily take the second one "for free." If it's something I like, great. If not: no huge loss.

(Of course I'm going to unsubscribe if you release two garbage synths a year. Let's just skip the obvious, shall we?)

So: there's the bottom line. Two new synths (or full-on, wow-this-is-an-impressive-new-addition upgrade) in a year. ...every year. You stop? I unsubscribe.

Roland Cloud's simply no where near that rate right now. (Frankly, no subscriptions are AFAIK.) To be fair: it was. RC was, IMO, worth the price of the subscription for the first few years. There was a flurry of new synths coming out, and while I didn't care about all of them, I was delighted to have them "for free" on top of the ones I cared about.

I unsubbed when the rate dropped, and I've not looked back since. ...and I'm glad: I feel like a dodged a bullet, 'cause it's been crickets for years now.

...unless, of course, you care about patch libraries or repackaged things. <rolls eyes>

I'm not butt-hurt! I got what I wanted out of it, and I still love the handful of RC synths I bought. I'm just saying: I want RC to be worth it, 'cause I enjoyed it while it lasted, and wanted to point out what it would take to get someone like me back into the fold.

Hope to see it happen!

Introspective wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:39 pm
Roland Cloud's simply no where near that rate right now. (Frankly, no subscriptions are AFAIK.) To be fair: it was. RC was, IMO, worth the price of the subscription for the first few years. There was a flurry of new synths coming out, and while I didn't care about all of them, I was delighted to have them "for free" on top of the ones I cared about.
I agree on your whole post, but highlighted this. How greatit was when the 606 came, with all that AS MODS on it, just like my HW one I had with Analogue Solutions mod etc.
Or the 707 and 727 with that glitch page....

But it went silent fast and long.
I feel it is really dead now, the Galaxias is the final nail I think. All those resources into something nobody asked for and still the bugs and Cloudmanger BS, they should have spend the money into real new synths and end user experience with that weird licensing stuff.

just got email from Roland today! it says check out Zen Beats!

jfc.....

Still no new instruments, so I thought I'd make a short recording of some Roland hardware sounds.
These are some presets (noodling around, nothing fancy) from the JV-880 I have. I added a bit of delay and the Raum reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/some-ro ... 80-presets

Need a MT32, D10 (D110) as VST
Collector of VSTs

We need to throw some kind of online party on June 17th coming up in less than a month. June 17th will mark exactly two years since June 17th, 2022. On that date the Jupiter 4 Plugin was released. It was the very last new instrument Roland released to the cloud.

Two years WOW

Return to “Instruments”