"Cheap" hardware synth for techno?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:02 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...
The USB connection on synths is almost always for MIDI and will do everything the 5-pin MIDI will do and more (e.g., firmware updates, direct communication with a software editor). Audio over USB in synths is less common, but some of the synths mentioned here have that feature (e.g., Dreadbox Typhon, Analog Four).
But then how would I work the audio into DAW? Also afaik Waldorf Pulse 2 doesn't have presets?
You'll need an audio interface with at least one 1/4-inch input channel for a mono output synth (e.g., Minitaur) and two 1/4-inch inputs for synths with stereo outputs (e.g., Pulse 2). Which audio interface are you using?

The Pulse 2 has 500 preset slots and, as I recall, it comes from the factory with 400 presets. Compare that to the Minitaur's 128 presets.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:10 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:02 pm
isuckatproducing wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:47 pm I've watched some and it sounds cool, but from what I can understand most synths use USB for signal but MIDI connection for controlling the synth with MIDI from within the DAW which would be cool...
The USB connection on synths is almost always for MIDI and will do everything the 5-pin MIDI will do and more (e.g., firmware updates, direct communication with a software editor). Audio over USB in synths is less common, but some of the synths mentioned here have that feature (e.g., Dreadbox Typhon, Analog Four).
But then how would I work the audio into DAW? Also afaik Waldorf Pulse 2 doesn't have presets?
You'll need an audio interface with at least one 1/4-inch input channel for a mono output synth (e.g., Minitaur) and two 1/4-inch inputs for synths with stereo outputs (e.g., Pulse 2). Which audio interface are you using?

The Pulse 2 has 500 preset slots and, as I recall, it comes from the factory with 400 presets. Compare that to the Minitaur's 128 presets.
I don't use a user interface, I would like to add Arturia Mk3 as a midi keyboard on top, and also record automation in Logic plugins with the knobs, and possibly play the synth with keyboard alone.

Would that be possible without much headache? And what cheapest audio interface could I get?

The Behringer Kobol sounds good too to my ears?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6swqL-KlH0

Also I will need my headphones hooked to my Mac via Bluetooth, afaik if I use a cable I will lose the EQ settings that I'm used to and will lose ANC, and I'm living in a loud env.

Would any of these work for me?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_u_p ... c204hd.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_u_p ... c202hd.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/native_instru ... udio_2.htm

Since you found the Bass Station ii too limited, I doubt that you’d be happy with the other suggestions other than the A4, but too expensive for you. Bass Station ii is pretty amazing, and duophonic. Not sure what firmware you had, maybe if it wasn’t updated then that would affect your satisfaction with it? I think that few mono synths are as flexible, especially in that price range.

Maybe you should consider Hydrasynth Explorer or a Modal Cobalt or Argon? You didn’t say it had to be analog, so maybe the versatility and polyphony of these would be a better option?

Not insulting you here, so don’t take it the wrong way, but seeing the name you chose to use, maybe spend some serious time programming software synths and learning to create the sounds you want? If you get some of these suggestions then there aren’t any on board presets, it’ll only sound as good as your programming.

DMG68 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:57 pm Since you found the Bass Station ii too limited, I doubt that you’d be happy with the other suggestions other than the A4, but too expensive for you. Bass Station ii is pretty amazing, and duophonic. Not sure what firmware you had, maybe if it wasn’t updated then that would affect your satisfaction with it? I think that few mono synths are as flexible, especially in that price range.

Maybe you should consider Hydrasynth Explorer or a Modal Cobalt or Argon? You didn’t say it had to be analog, so maybe the versatility and polyphony of these would be a better option?

Not insulting you here, so don’t take it the wrong way, but seeing the name you chose to use, maybe spend some serious time programming software synths and learning to create the sounds you want? If you get some of these suggestions then there aren’t any on board presets, it’ll only sound as good as your programming.
I forgot to mention that if I am to buy a synth I would rather get analogue, otherwise I might just stick to AU’s plugins.

And no I am not offended, but I couldn’t get sounds (with Bass Station) I wanted which I could get easily with AU synths.

I don't really keep up with the cheaper interfaces, so I can't really be much help there. It's probably worth doing a search of the forums to see if you can find threads discussing the interfaces you're considering, or start a new dedicated thread for interfaces if you can't find any existing ones. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who use the interfaces you're considering, but most are probably software users and probably won't bother to look at this thread.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

These days you have many options because of Behringer: Torus for bass (250.); CAT for leads/plucks (199); and Pro8 for polyphonic (600 but you can get it later). I would get all three and put them into a euro rack Go case so you can turn them on together. Assign midi chanel 1 to the Torus, 2 to the CAT, etc. There you go, your own techno production station!

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:29 pm These days you have many options because of Behringer: Torus for bass (250.); CAT for leads/plucks (199); and Pro8 for polyphonic (600 but you can get it later). I would get all three and put them into a euro rack Go case so you can turn them on together. Assign midi chanel 1 to the Torus, 2 to the CAT, etc. There you go, your own techno production station!
Don't think I can afford that.
I need gritty techno sounds and perhaps fast ENV rolling bass lines if you know what I mean?
For example I know Arturia Mini V5 and would never use it for rolling techno bass lines.

On the other hand I know there is no synth that fits it all.

Waldorf Rocket is also good. Fast, easy, immediate, and fun to program with 8 voices of polyphony. It's a hybrid synth with virtual analog oscillators going through a real analog filter, so it'll give you the AU sounds you love with some analog character added.

Volca Keys is often overlooked, it's a very capable synth fir Techno etc

Perhaps take a look at the IK Uno Synth Pro X....which can also be controlled in the DAW via a VST plugin.

db3 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:35 pm Perhaps take a look at the IK Uno Synth Pro X....which can also be controlled in the DAW via a VST plugin.
Will take a look.
I need something with noise generator and fast envelopes for rolling bass lines if that makes sense.

I'm looking for this kind of sounds mostly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGcaZlSdnU

The saw sound that starts from beginning actually comes from Prophet hardware, but I believe it's super expensive.

EDIT: this high pitched arp is also a Prophet.

Great sounds. Sounds like a Prophet REV2 to me, in which case the unison voices are a big part of the sound. Behringer Pro-1 is basically a mono Prophet but it can't do unison. Behringer Pro-800, Waldorf Pulse 2, and Waldorf Rocket do unison. The Waldorf's are great for sounds like that.

Uncle E wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 pm Great sounds. Sounds like a Prophet REV2 to me, in which case the unison voices are a big part of the sound. Behringer Pro-1 is basically a mono Prophet but it can't do unison. Behringer Pro-800, Waldorf Pulse 2, and Waldorf Rocket do unison. The Waldorf's are great for sounds like that.
I've listened to multiple synths already and it's tough decision because people who demo them are using some weird a$$ sounds. Very hard to find anything techno'ish. Like plucky rolling bass lines etc. :borg:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”