5.2 and GPU uses - exclusive ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking to upgrade although I've seen that in 5.2 all GUI is made using a GPU ? What if there's only basic mainboard video, no graphics card ? Will it hinder GUI operation not having a dedicated GPU ?

Most embedded graphics systems are GPU-caliber, built in the last 10ish years anyway. Im fairly certain, though I dont have evidence because I dont own a laptop or desktop that doesnt have a GPU, that Bitwig will just do CPU rendering if you dont have a strong GPU, but that would be something for the Bitwig devs to describe.

Works fine with the Intel Iris XE...

mevla wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:48 pm Looking to upgrade although I've seen that in 5.2 all GUI is made using a GPU ? What if there's only basic mainboard video, no graphics card ? Will it hinder GUI operation not having a dedicated GPU ?
Onboard GPU chips are using parts of the CPU, which can reduce CPU performance, depending on how much graphic power is required to render the game/gui. I don't think Bitwig has that much impact, however, this relationship between onboard chip and CPU performance has to be known in general.

Sidenote: I've tested the Beta with a 4k Monitor, together with my Laptop (Dell xps 9710).
The dedicated graphics card of my Laptop (nvidia 3060) is handling Bitwig, which is really nice.
BUT: There's that disgusting Windows background task called "Desktop Window Manager ", which can not be forced to use the dedicated GPU. It always uses the onboard chip instead - and depending on the Monitor-Setup can draw significant amounts of GPU (onboard) and even CPU Power!! Really unfortunate.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

You can disable the onboard gpu if u want no?, not good for mobile power of course.

Return to “Bitwig”