Bitwig Studio 5.2 Beta 2 is out

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Changes in Bitwig Studio 5.2, Beta 2 [released 14 May 2024]

NEW FEATURES

Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module: Added two new options:
Remove Fundamental suppresses the fundamental from each table
Remove DC Offset offsets the signal output to center around zero. This can transform wavetables made for modulation (such as the "LFO and Sequences" category) into interesting audio sources.
In The Grid, these functions are available in the module's Inspector Panel
In Polymer, the Wavetable oscillator now has a Pop-out Editor for accessing all parameters

IMPROVEMENTS

Graphics engine / GUI: Better fallbacks for various cases on Linux and Window
Graphics engine / GUI: General painting optimizations, particularly for The Grid editor
Separate functions and dialogs for Set Event Tempo… and Detect Event Tempo…
Detect Event Tempo dialog now allows minimum and maximum BPM values, to potentially improve detection results
New direct functions are available for:
Detect Event Tempo to run the default detection again, good in case you made a mess
Set Event to current Project Tempo to set the audio to match the project tempo at this time (the same as the old Unstretch function)
New algorithm for solving latency-compensation, which should fix the few remaining issues in this space
Transient Split (Spectral) device: Improved sonogram display painting.. and fixed a crash [35713]
Compressor+ (Dynamics) and Over (Distortion) devices: Both now use static sample rates when at higher project sample rates, reducing oversampling and CPU load
Note In (I/O) Grid module: Now does better swapping for some modules with logic out ports, as well as all modules with pitch out ports
Right-clicking Note In to Replace with now offers the Triggers, Gates, and Probabilities sequencers, for quicker generative patching

FIXES

Graphics engine / GPU: Some paint commands didn't consider Mid-tone/Black-level setting properly [35703]
Graphics engine / GPU: Fixed some various font crashes [35679]
Various time selection functions have been fixed [35682, 35685, 35686, 35678]
The full set of editing functions/mappings is now listed
Tempo detection is now working properly for short audio samples when launched from the Detect Tempo dialog
Expression editing: When points are created with the mouse, they are automatically selected for easy editing
Curve Editor: Pencil tool is now working again (a regression) [35744]
E-Snare (Snare) device: Was not playing back the noise signal when being triggered by MIDI controller (a regression) [35812]
Make Legato is no longer greyed out for audio events (a regression) [FLOAT-35655]
Fixed some incorrect trimming of audio event start times, when adjusting clip Start in the Arranger [35625]
JavaScript Controller Extensions: Now provide line numbers when errors are encountered [35705]
Fix startup of some older controller scripts that were sending invalid sysex messages (Reloop Keypad/Keyfadr and Livid Alias8/DS1)
Windows: Fixed a waveform rendering regression with ultrawide monitors [35757]
Linux: Fixed bad sound for the Wavetable (Oscillator) Grid/Polymer module
Recording note pitch bends was not always accurate (a regression) [35775]
Automation recording of certain parameter types in the Arranger (such as mute) was not preserving the off (unmuted) state (a regression) [35666]
macOS: Fixed a potential audio engine crash when scanning device metadata while device is being disconnected [35405]
CLAP plug-ins: Were not receiving modulation when your Audio setting for Block size was smaller than 64 samples
SSL Native Channel Strip plug-in: Fixed an issue when adding more than 8 FX tracks [35777]

beta 2 is still crashing the audio engine i have sent crash report from internal
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

Graphics engine working great for me sofar :tu:

I have no midi now. "Impact LX Mini did something wrong" and says Trying to send MIDI Sysex that doesn't start with F0 ???

Digital-Aura wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:03 pm I have no midi now. "Impact LX Mini did something wrong" and says Trying to send MIDI Sysex that doesn't start with F0 ???
Sounds like it's related to this change:
Fix startup of some older controller scripts that were sending invalid sysex messages (Reloop Keypad/Keyfadr and Livid Alias8/DS1)
Just send it to the Bitwig beta email. I'm pretty sure they will fix it

Heavy graphic glitches are still not fixed here. More info in the description.
https://youtu.be/ZUpuk6W4ItA?si=red8Yj6btjIW9Goq
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

I just bought a new udate license to test the tempo mapping. It's been a while since i tried things on Bitwig but the tempo mapping is just something that could change my mind like singing or playing something without tempo and bitwig would tempo map all the time line . But i can't figure out how it works ? it maps something at the begining and something at the end of a recorded or imported clip/wav and it does not map all the stuff between .... i certainly miss something as i watch the demo video https://www.google.com/search?q=bitwig+ ... iXaNc,st:0 and i can't figure out how he does at this exact : 35:35 moment . someone could help me on that ? playing music tempo free and just let the machine map the time line ...wow , that a great moment !

The pultec eq's need an output gain or else it needs the nesting thing to the top right corner so one can put the tool in there and save it as a default. I really liked the sound of a mid band of the Sculpt together with tube on. I would see myself using a lot that only one middle band, but it's limited to not go under the 3k. Ok then, i tried the other new eq but it's limited to fixed q, and it was too narrow to have the same kind of sound that fits all over the place. Why wouldn't you just make one mid band device without any limitations to keep it simple ?

I like the "remove fundamental" in the wt oscillator, now one can combine an unisono oscillator without fundamental with a second clean oscillator which contributes the stable fundamental ... This wt modification feature is a step in the right direction, but still it does not come close to the wt editor for instance in vital ... anyways, thanks for this feature, Bitwig! Looking forward to getting more of this. May be a "Bitwig Wavetable Studio" could be a paid extra app. If it somehow cleverly integrates itself/works together with Bitwig it would be great. Hilarious that each and any wt synth has it's own editor ... serum, vital, upcoming synthmaster3, tone2 icarus and all with kind of the same functionality.

Is anyone else having issues with bounce in place? It seems the starting point of a note it's shifted towards left, i.e. anticipated with respect to the position on the grid, as per attached pic
BIP_issue.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zengel wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:38 am I just bought a new udate license to test the tempo mapping. It's been a while since i tried things on Bitwig but the tempo mapping is just something that could change my mind like singing or playing something without tempo and bitwig would tempo map all the time line . But i can't figure out how it works ? it maps something at the begining and something at the end of a recorded or imported clip/wav and it does not map all the stuff between .... i certainly miss something as i watch the demo video https://www.google.com/search?q=bitwig+ ... iXaNc,st:0 and i can't figure out how he does at this exact : 35:35 moment . someone could help me on that ? playing music tempo free and just let the machine map the time line ...wow , that a great moment !
Did you figure it out? I haven't tried the tempo map stuff in the beta yet. I keep meaning to, then get busy with other stuff.

NomadMonad wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:57 am Is anyone else having issues with bounce in place? It seems the starting point of a note it's shifted towards left, i.e. anticipated with respect to the position on the grid, as per attached pic

BIP_issue.jpg
Do you have some latency inducing plugin active?

NomadMonad wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:57 am Is anyone else having issues with bounce in place? It seems the starting point of a note it's shifted towards left, i.e. anticipated with respect to the position on the grid, as per attached pic

BIP_issue.jpg
I went to test it out and was very surprised that bounce was out of sync because I’ve been using it daily,turns out I had ozone active on the master. Works fine though without anything introducing a bunch of latency

I'm one of those running Bitwig Studio on Debian Linux (and up to 5.1.9 everything was fine), but... 5.2 crashes. Interestingly I meanwhile installed (simply to find out, whether Vulkan might crash the system similar to Bitwig Studio) Warzone2100 and configured it to use Vulkan running on my Radeon RX 580... to my surprise it worked perfect and without even a glitch.

Starting Bitwig though - using otherwise identical settings and configuration - makes (most likely the GPU) crash Debian, leading to a reboot (without even any message..).
Everything I can see is the splash screen of Bitwig which remains for several seconds and then suddenly a reboot.

Also interestingly started from different DE's (like XFCE) the effects differ a little... but there's a crash in all used DE's

I'm on Debian testing (to have at least no "ancient" driver environment), but... not a chance.
I have seen on the Vulkan homepage, that 24.1 (after currently 24.0.7) is announced to arrive this or next week... I'll try it, but... to be honest I don't expect it to run.
Does anybody know, where to find possible crash logs, which could be sent to developers? Whether Vulkan, graphics,... well, I will send - if I find something reasonable - to Bitwig as well, but I can't believe that they seriously will work on it or use that data.

Sadly Bitwig don't tell anything and (that's for sure) according to my investigations so far it is highly unlikely, that this machine running Ubuntu (as "desired" by Bitwig) - even using flatpak - would work as expected. And because this is my workstation and I need it for important other tasks I surely won't risk to install Ubuntu only for testing purposes now - only to find out, that it crashes identically

I have found out so far, that the issue seems to be some problem 'between' Vulkan and the GPU drivers. But to be honest: I simply don't have the resources to investigate such things and ... with a Bitwig company, which simply refuse to tell anything about the ways Bitwig Studio accesses Vulkan and the graphic that would result in a trial and error.

I really don't know, if I'll be willing to test further versions of Bitwig in some future (should I buy another PC and even though I'd like Bitwig Studio), simply because somehow I feel being heavily repelled by this shown corporate arrogance.

To be honest: I saw meanwhile again several license holders to sell their license and... although I don't know their selling reasons, their most important reason for selling surely is not their high satisfaction with either the product and/or the company. And... once more to be honest I thought there might be a few people around with similar problems, but it turned out, that the remaining users seem to have working DAW's (no matter whether Linux, Mac or Windows)... so I have to end my 'weak trials' for now, because of missing time.

Have the same problem with a Fedora 39 system. Current beta crashes system. Have a very similar AMD GPU. just renewed my license the day before yesterday and now I'm scared. What is Bitwigs take on this? No support? Already filed a bug-report.

Return to “Bitwig”