Recording Screen Capture Video of Bitwig

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to record a screen video of Bitwig using Camtasia Studio 9 in Windows. However, Camtasia does not record low-latency audio, such as ASIO. The audio must go through the kernel, making it high-latency, so that Camtasia can grab it.

With other DAWs I can do this easily by switching to the DirectX audio driver. However, it appears Bitwig only supports ASIO, Wasapi, and Jack, not DirectX. I don't have Jack installed on my PC, nor do I know how to install it, nor do I know if Jack can send audio through DirectX into the kernel, which it would have to do in order for Camtasia to see the audio. Camtasia definitely doesn't see Wasapi audio, as it's low-latency.

How do other people record screen capture video of Bitwig in Windows?

The MIDI Guru wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:37 am I'd like to record a screen video of Bitwig using Camtasia Studio 9 in Windows. However, Camtasia does not record low-latency audio, such as ASIO. The audio must go through the kernel, making it high-latency, so that Camtasia can grab it.

With other DAWs I can do this easily by switching to the DirectX audio driver. However, it appears Bitwig only supports ASIO, Wasapi, and Jack, not DirectX. I don't have Jack installed on my PC, nor do I know how to install it, nor do I know if Jack can send audio through DirectX into the kernel, which it would have to do in order for Camtasia to see the audio. Camtasia definitely doesn't see Wasapi audio, as it's low-latency.

How do other people record screen capture video of Bitwig in Windows?
I just use the Windows gamebar thingy to record quick videos of Bitwig. Windows key + G, hit record, done. lol

With Asio stuff I believe you need to use a loopback program of some sort regardless of what it is. I'm not entirely sure.
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm I just use the Windows gamebar thingy to record quick videos of Bitwig. Windows key + G, hit record, done. lol

With Asio stuff I believe you need to use a loopback program of some sort regardless of what it is. I'm not entirely sure.
The Windows key + G doesn't record the ASIO audio. I just checked that, but I'm not surprised. I wouldn't expect it to. If there's a way to set up a loopback for audio, I would need to know what software to download and how to set it up.

I just use the game bar and Wasapi for recording.
There is the Flex ASIO driver which can be set up for loopback. It only pretends to be ASIO using Wasapi under the hood though.

A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Teezdalien wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:35 pm https://obsproject.com/
That's not an answer to the question, unfortunately. OBS doesn't seem to be able to record an ASIO audio stream. I downloaded it hours ago and tested that. If there's a way to get it to do it, I'll need specifics.

Sorry maybe you'll need to install the Jack Audio driver/connection kit and use something like Voicemeter Banana to route the audio across applications. I used to use this with success, but now I have an audio interface with a loopback channel and record straight into OBS using that.
Does your audio interface have a loopback channel?
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Teezdalien wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:05 pm Sorry maybe you'll need to install the Jack Audio driver/connection kit and use something like Voicemeter Banana to route the audio across applications. I used to use this with success, but now I have an audio interface with a loopback channel and record straight into OBS using that.
Does your audio interface have a loopback channel?
No, worse luck. Thanks for suggesting that, though. It's a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd generation.

If I knew the Jack driver and some other utility would do the job, and if I had specific instructions on how to set it up, I'd give it a try. But I've never used Jack. (I'm almost tempted to say I don't know Jack, but let's not go there.)

Return to “Bitwig”