Picking an audio interface (Babyface vs Motu vs Audient)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,
I'm trying to slightly upgrade my audio interface (been using Audient id4 but need something with at least 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs). I'm hesitating between the following three: RME Babyface Pro FS, MOTU Ultralight mk5, and Audient id44 mk2, but would also consider other options around the same price point.

Would appreciate advice and opinions from users of these interfaces :)

Cheers!

Just checking: "instrument" is for you a synth (low impedance) or elec.guitar (high impedance) ??

Do you use the mics + instruments simultaneously? If not, the Focusrite 4i4 is decent as well.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Steinberg ur44

If you were happy with the iD4, get the iD44.

BertKoor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:59 pm Just checking: "instrument" is for you a synth (low impedance) or elec.guitar (high impedance) ??

Do you use the mics + instruments simultaneously? If not, the Focusrite 4i4 is decent as well.
I mean electric guitar and bass, at least one of which usually goes through a UAFX amp sim pedal (ruby or dream). I do use the mics and instruments simultaneously sometimes.
e@rs wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm If you were happy with the iD4, get the iD44.
I wasn't unhappy. I'm slightly concerned about the headphone output impedance limiting my headphone options a little. I was e.g. hoping to try out Slate VSX but with headphone impedance in ~30s I'm not sure it's a match with audients.
Ancientbehemoth wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 pm Steinberg ur44
Anything in particular that makes this one stand out? I see the price is better, that's for sure.

The RME stuff just works. Never had an issue with my BF Pro (not the FS version). Total mix can be confusing tho.

s3renity wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:25 pm
BertKoor wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:59 pm Just checking: "instrument" is for you a synth (low impedance) or elec.guitar (high impedance) ??

I mean electric guitar and bass, at least one of which usually goes through a UAFX amp sim pedal (ruby or dream). I do use the mics and instruments simultaneously sometimes.
e@rs wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm If you were happy with the iD4, get the iD44.
I wasn't unhappy. I'm slightly concerned about the headphone output impedance limiting my headphone options a little. I was e.g. hoping to try out Slate VSX but with headphone impedance in ~30s I'm not sure it's a match with audients.
Ancientbehemoth wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:59 pm Steinberg ur44
Anything in particular that makes this one stand out? I see the price is better, that's for sure.
Price for sure. Very decent quality. I've had mine for near 10 years now always up and running on a 10h per day basis or so. I use it as my common windows audio interface as well.
Great asio drivers. Solid metal case. It Feels very sturdy.
It's Yamaha, they know what they are doing pretty much.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”