Thoughts on Ilok?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:26 pm People attacking software developers' choices by quoting software crackers is a hilarious level of simping.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
revvy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:16 pm Says the loser quoting crackers at length, to such an extent that it’s the same as posting an actual link but one search action removed. Head screwed on there mate, f’sure.
You think I'm revealing some secret place that couldn't easily be found?

Kvr has very strict rules about even talking about the topic.
Proceed at your own risk.
rsp
sound sculptist

Largos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 pm
revvy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:16 pm Says the loser quoting crackers at length, to such an extent that it’s the same as posting an actual link but one search action removed. Head screwed on there mate, f’sure.
You think I'm revealing some secret place that couldn't easily be found?
No, because I’m not thick. I said you are posting copy/pasting searchable text from a crackers site that publicises and leads us to that cracker site. f**k you for doing so. Can’t believe it’s tolerated but there ya go.

If I was Slate I’d mark KVR down as a crack-friendly site. Ben, you cool with that?

Publicising crack sites and quoting the opinions of crackers whilst criticising devs and being dismissive of copy protection. That makes you a simp for the dark side. Nice.
Last edited by revvy on Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Largos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:41 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:26 pm People attacking software developers' choices by quoting software crackers is a hilarious level of simping.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Yeah, of course that's what it is, it'll not be partisan hypocrisy at all.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

revvy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:29 am No, because I’m not thick. I said you are posting copy/pasting searchable text from a crackers site that publicises and leads us to that cracker site. f**k you for doing so. Can’t believe it’s tolerated but there ya go.

If I was Slate I’d mark KVR down as a crack-friendly site. Ben, you cool with that?

Publicising crack sites and quoting the opinions of crackers whilst criticising devs and being dismissive of copy protection. That makes you a simp for the dark side. Nice.
We've quoted each other multiple times, it's hardly been a sign of agreement or publicising so far. You say you're not thick but you can't seem to understand that criticism of copy protection is not an endorsement of software piracy. Instead you appeal to mods to ban me instead of engage with the point.

Largos wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:14 am
revvy wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:29 am No, because I’m not thick. I said you are posting copy/pasting searchable text from a crackers site that publicises and leads us to that cracker site. f**k you for doing so. Can’t believe it’s tolerated but there ya go.

We've quoted each other multiple times, it's hardly been a sign of agreement or publicising so far. You say you're not thick but you can't seem to understand that criticism of copy protection is not an endorsement of software piracy. Instead you appeal to mods to ban me instead of engage with the point.
I call on mods to delete your post leading to the words of crackers. Banning you? Dunno mate, above my pay grade.

I won't engage with the crackers' point and others here can bother to engage with any original thought you might have as they see fit. In terms of engagement you're not my type, sorry.
Last edited by revvy on Thu May 02, 2024 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Where did you do that audio illegal? Are you an illegal?

Did you pirate some software once? What Did You Do?

I sense false drama, I hope you are okay, because lol.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:27 pm So the argument is 'This guy who makes tools to enable theft says that doors work better without locks, and anyway nobody can prove that unlocked doors will mean you could get burgled.'
Are you saying it's not factual? The fact that heavy DRM can impact performance is not only known but self evident and commonly discussed in other markets like AAA games and their usage of denuvo.

If for the software to do it's job it first needs to perform complex cryptographic tasks for validation then that obviously adds cpu cycles.

The benefit of serial numbers/keyfiles is that you don't have to do all of that, the worst you'll get with that is an unnoticable miniscule increase in load time for the check on whether a license has been provided

What Largos is trying to say is that iLOK is not very effective against piracy, but at the same time is impacting performance.
Correct me if i am wrong
aliasing plugin owner
:?

underscoreraven wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:44 am
whyterabbyt wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:27 pm So the argument is 'This guy who makes tools to enable theft says that doors work better without locks, and anyway nobody can prove that unlocked doors will mean you could get burgled.'
Are you saying it's not factual? The fact that heavy DRM can impact performance is not only known but self evident and commonly discussed in other markets like AAA games and their usage of denuvo.
The fact that piracy can impact sales of software is not only known but self evident and commonly discussed...
Someone is demanding 'proof' of that, whilst so their failure to adhere to their own standards is being required.
If for the software to do it's job it first needs to perform complex cryptographic tasks for validation then that obviously adds cpu cycles.

The benefit of serial numbers/keyfiles is that you don't have to do all of that, the worst you'll get with that is an unnoticable miniscule increase in load time for the check on whether a license has been provided
So you're comparing the heaviest possible cryptographic load likely with the simplest, most naive implementation of keyfiles? That sounds reasonable, and not even slightly disingenuous.

Very long thread. I have 4 products that do use iLok. Out of curiosity I googled them and they are all cracked. How come?
Last edited by Igro on Thu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 am
The fact that piracy can impact sales of software is not only known but self evident and commonly discussed...
Someone is demanding 'proof' of that, whilst so their failure to adhere to their own standards is being required.
If you're referring to me, then I suggest you try reading again. This time with your eyes open.

suggest what you like, we all know what's going on with you.

Return to “Effects”