Thoughts on Ilok?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sQeetz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm
choomaque wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:36 pm Thus all the licenses are gone with old machine. And it is impossible to move them.
That's not true at all...
unless you forget to deregister your stuff from the old machine, which is hardly ilok's fault (again...)
Also, developers can and will reset your iLok authorizations in the event that happens. Just contact Pace and/or the developers directly. I have done it before, and it was all taken care of within 24 hours.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I think they should have a SSD version which plugins can be installed on, i have the dongle,
but dont want to install everything on my
second computer. :lol:

Ilok makes most plug ins f**k up in some way. I dont understand why any company would use this piece of shit.

U-he, Ableton, Fl Studio, Logic, Reason, Native Instruments, Artuia all seem to be doing fine without this horrible system that has to start up when the computer starts up in order to be able to use the plugins.

Try blocking Ilok from start up and running Pro Tools or any other software that uses I lok. Pro Tools will crash.
It makes the user think 'Is Pro Tools buggy?' 'Are my plug ins buggy'

It really makes devs look like shit when they use Ilok.

Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 pm Try blocking Ilok from start up and running Pro Tools or any other software that uses I lok. Pro Tools will crash.
Why would you want to block iLok when you know you have plugins that use it? Protools at startup might check licenses and if they are not there it could crash at validation. That's stupid
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm
Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 pm Try blocking Ilok from start up and running Pro Tools or any other software that uses I lok. Pro Tools will crash.
Why would you want to block iLok when you know you have plugins that use it? Protools at startup might check licenses and if they are not there it could crash at validation. That's stupid
I blocked Ilok before I knew that it needed to start up with my system because I dont want extra crap running taking up resources. If they want to run their junk software on my system they should be paying for part of my electric bill and for the used cpu cycles on my computer.

Lol... only on kvr..
this is better than netflix..

rsp
sound sculptist

Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:27 pmIf they want to run their junk software on my system they should be paying for part of my electric bill and for the used cpu cycles on my computer.
Just send them the bill of 0.0042 cents per year and ask for reimbursement.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:27 pm
sQeetz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:07 pm
I blocked Ilok before I knew that it needed to start up with my system because I dont want extra crap running taking up resources. If they want to run their junk software on my system they should be paying for part of my electric bill and for the used cpu cycles on my computer.
Sorry, but your above action proves nothing, but your own lack of knowledge

ILok has served well since 2010 or something, when they had major issues a couple of years.

Nathanananan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 pm It makes the user think 'Is Pro Tools buggy?' 'Are my plug ins buggy'
only the dumb ones who block operational prerequisites that are quite literally included in the installer.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

People defending ilok when they're not even a software dev is a hilarious level of simping.

Largos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 am People defending ilok when they're not even a software dev is a hilarious level of simping.
I wonder what some examples would be, of people "defending iLok". All that I usually see is that people say that they don't have any problems with it.

What I see a lot more is the always same people invading product topics, products which are iLok protected, and post some stupid one-liner along the lines of "iLok, no buy", although there wasn't any previous discussion or even mention of iLok. I don't know what that is called (I'm sure someone has invented some stupid trend term for that as well), but, it's really ridiculously stupid and annoying. Especially when you know that it's merely a political issue of the respective person anyway.

Largos wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 am People defending ilok when they're not even a software dev is a hilarious level of simping.
Yes, because of course only 'software devs' are allowed to have an opinion that isnt negative, but anyone else can hijack and derail absolutely any thread whatsoever to complain about them in as hyperbolic a fashion as they can manage.
Sounds about right.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Next to no copy protection, ilok is the best/simplest/most convenient cp imho when you are upgrading from one computer to another.. just plug out, plug in....

If that is considered defending ilok.. Then I am a proud defender.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed May 01, 2024 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

I believe it's mostly people parroting bullshit they hear or read online.
I don't "Like" using iLok... I'd prefer not to. I'm not a fan. But it's one of the lesser evils regarding copy protection. And it always worked flawlessly at least on my end

Return to “Effects”