Best 'Sample Manager' plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Update: I just bought Atlas 2 :)

I'm still interested in XO and (especially) Sononym, so I'll keep my eye out for a cool secondhand license or a sale.

So far so good with Atlas, but besides the immediate good impressions, there's also some "huh?" moments...

- When I built my own map from my drum sample library, straight away a huge number of samples are mis-categorised. There's a LOT (possibly dozens if not hundreds) of Hihats in the Rides category, for instance. It seems to struggle to differentiate even a closed hihat from a ride cymbal. The AI detection could be vastly improved. At least I can re-categorise samples manually but it's tedious. Custom key Quick Actions, or multi-selection of samples would help.

- I don't see a category for, say, Foley percussion sounds. I guess I'll put them all in 'Other'? What about allow custom categories? I'd probably make one for 'Metal' too.

- List view displays a simple file view of all samples in that map - awesome! I might even use this more than the Map. You can sort by category which is great, BUT there's no search function... why?! Also you only see Filename / folder / category... what about (sort by) Vendor? Though sorting by filepath is reasonably close.

- Tagging. Custom/auto tagging / searching by tags - doesn't exist.

Guess what it comes down to is what I really want is probably Sononym or similar. Although first impressions are Atlas won't be the overall sample library organiser I seek, I'm still loving Atlas as a quick creative tool and sound explorer - so I'm glad I got it. I feel like it opens me up creatively to a different approach to beat making that I'm sure will be useful, especially when I'm in a rut. The randomisation etc is stuff I didn't think I needed. Thinking about grabbing one of the new extension packs too.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:34 pm So far so good with Atlas, but besides the immediate good impressions, there's also some "huh?" moments...

- When I built my own map from my drum sample library, straight away a huge number of samples are mis-categorised. There's a LOT (possibly dozens if not hundreds) of Hihats in the Rides category, for instance. It seems to struggle to differentiate even a closed hihat from a ride cymbal. The AI detection could be vastly improved. At least I can re-categorise samples manually but it's tedious. Custom key Quick Actions, or multi-selection of samples would help.

- I don't see a category for, say, Foley percussion sounds. I guess I'll put them all in 'Other'? What about allow custom categories? I'd probably make one for 'Metal' too.

- List view displays a simple file view of all samples in that map - awesome! I might even use this more than the Map. You can sort by category which is great, BUT there's no search function... why?! Also you only see Filename / folder / category... what about (sort by) Vendor? Though sorting by filepath is reasonably close.

- Tagging. Custom/auto tagging / searching by tags - doesn't exist.

Guess what it comes down to is what I really want is probably Sononym or similar. Although first impressions are Atlas won't be the overall sample library organiser I seek, I'm still loving Atlas as a quick creative tool and sound explorer - so I'm glad I got it. I feel like it opens me up creatively to a different approach to beat making that I'm sure will be useful, especially when I'm in a rut. The randomisation etc is stuff I didn't think I needed. Thinking about grabbing one of the new extension packs too.
Yeah, the AI is sometimes a little bit off. When you create a new map open the "Advanced Options" and check "Use file and folder names as category hints". This helps a bit.

And there is a little Triangle left to "MAP FILTERS". Maybe you have missed that. Tap on it and you will find a search function and some other stuff.

Some quick tips:

If you need multiple audio outputs set it to sequential in "EXT OUT".

For each Pad you can open the "Advanced Panel". There you can find "Random" and "Velocity" modulation in the "Modulation Panel".

In the Seqencer lane you have only a global shuffle option as long as you don´t mark the instrument name (e.g. kck). If you select it in the sequencer lane you can nudge each drum sound back or forth.

Creating Kits with random samples is the quickest way creating kits. At least for me. As soon as I have found a sound I like I lock it manually and hit either "New Kit" or the refresh button on a pad for a new random sample until I have found something I like.

Keep in mind that there is a undo/redo button on the top right.

There is also a "Similar Sample panel" which is hidden by default (those two circles on the top). If you click them while having selected a pad Atlas suggests you similar samples.

Atlas 2 is a lot of fun. I hope you will have it too. And the dev is pretty responsive. Maybe he will add some stuff if you suggest it to him.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Regarding Sononym and tagging: until now you can´t define your own categories. It has more than Atlas but no user defined ones which is a shame. But it´s on their roadmap. And the AI is sometimes off as well. Yesterday I had some bitcrushed hihats which have been categorized as claps. But at least you can assign them to a new category (even in batch) if you want to.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Wait, I take it back, you can search the List view. Time to Read the Friendly Manual :roll:

It's a very basic filename or folder search and that's about it :cry:

Hi all,

Perhaps I missed the explanation somewhere above, but I can't help but wonder why this thread is in Effects. Usually discussions about sample managers go into Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries or Instruments.

DaveClark wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 am Hi all,

Perhaps I missed the explanation somewhere above, but I can't help but wonder why this thread is in Effects. Usually discussions about sample managers go into Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries or Instruments.
Fair point. No problem if moderators wish to move it!

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:34 pm So far so good with Atlas, but besides the immediate good impressions, there's also some "huh?" moments...

Please think about sharing your feedback with the developer :) I also think the AI categorization can be improved. But have you tried to check the "use file and folder names as category hints" option when creating your map? It's not on by default, but imho it should be. It gives me better results, at least.

And yes, Atlas 2 isn't meant to be a general purpose sample manager, this is what Sononym is covering.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:41 am

Please think about sharing your feedback with the developer :) I also think the AI categorization can be improved. But have you tried to check the "use file and folder names as category hints" option when creating your map? It's not on by default, but imho it should be. It gives me better results, at least.

And yes, Atlas 2 isn't meant to be a general purpose sample manager, this is what Sononym is covering.
Yes I did re-do my library with the "hints" option on and it helped, but not much.

I agree, Atlas is essentially a creative sampler instrument rather than a sample library management utility/tool.

After using it some more, I'll give feedback to the dev :)

kidslow wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:49 pm
The best solution I have found, and this applies to working with any media, is filename contains enough data that you can tell by looking what it is and where it is from. Filenames are better than other metadata options because they are immediately visible.
THIS.
I'm using multi-rename tools with my 3 letter-digit codes everytime I buy or produce more samples and have everything neatly organized in folders, mainly ...
1. folders for more generic one-shots (inc. RR and diff. velocities) (acoustic, electronic, hybrid, ...), with e.g. subfolders for specific acoustic kits or drum machines, again organized by instruments (kicks, snares, ...) and kits.
2. folders and subfolders for more genre and sub-genre specific samples (deep house, DnB, jungle, UKG, ...) ...
and lastly folders or subfolders for sampler specific kits or multisamples (Maschine, Battery, Kontakt, Tal drum, Bitwig Drum Machine/Multisampler)

... in other words an organized mess with x*10^6 samples but workable :hihi:

Back OT ... after having demoed Sononym, XO, Atlas and Cosmos I still prefer the single page GUI and general workflow of ADSR sample manager, especially for building TAL drum kits with up to 4 RRs on the fly. YMMV.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:39 pmADSR - Sample Manager […] gets constant updates
*cough*

Ha. I just read this as Sample Mangler.

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:39 pmADSR - Sample Manager […] gets constant updates
*cough*
Despite my hesitation I actually installed ADSR SM the other day and you know what, it's a lot less glitchy than it was a couple of years ago. Scanning the samples folder took ages but the AI detection is truly spot-on compared to Atlas. Custom tagging is a breeze too. I think between Atlas and ADSR I'm sussed. When I'm outside the DAW I'm also finding an app called Resonic Player to be pretty marvelous for just browsing folders, single click play etc - compared to Windows Media Player I was using on my old PC (what a dumbass I was).

My interest is for non drum sounds (XO covers what I need for those). One shots, field recordings, including my own.

Currently I'm using ADSR Sample Manager. It's ok but I need to manaully go in and change the tagging and I do have a slight worry around a free product where the company's commercial products are probably going in a different direction to my interests.

I'm watching Sononym for the addition of user defined tags/ categories which I'm told will be in 1.6. I'm hoping for more intelligent audio analysis in the future and I believe they are also working towards that. That looks promising.

I didn't like the Loopcloud one and I think the last time I looked at Sound Particles Explore it had become more focussed on working with their own products which is fair enough. Previously I hadn't found the categorisation that great.

There is also Soundminer https://store.soundminer.com/ which is sort of aimed at the kind of areas I have samples in but it's $199 for the basic/ lite version which means even on sale it's probably too high a price for the value I would get. If I was working in the profession on foley or post production audio I can see it would be an absolute must.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:00 pm I'm hoping for more intelligent audio analysis in the future and I believe they are also working towards that. That looks promising.
I guess in the not too distant future we'll see some sample managers with more sophisticated sorting algorithms than what we have right now (still pretty meh IMO) ... unless recorded samples become superflous and you just tell your IAW what sounds (or songs) you want and it generates them spontaneously.

Return to “Effects”