Super Budget Pedalboard - Looking for Pedal Recomendations - (No politics of gear please)

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

imrae wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:50 pm There used to be some great value clones on UK ebay by Svaha Aqstics and Otalgia (websmurfer) but they seem to both be on hiatus now. Maybe for USA Uncle E's stuff is competitive.

I'll have a think about that $500 challenge, but will probably use DIY stuff from Fuzz Dog. Does that need to include the preamp? If not, what amp/preamp do we assume?
I do plenty of DIY, but DIY is cheating here. Also, as cool as Fuzz Dog seems, I really hate ordering stuff internationally, it's such a crap shoot on the hassle front.

The only DIY company I’ve had 100% good experiences with is AionFX. The AionFX King of Tone, Zendrive, and Ray sound exactly like the real things.

Magic Russ wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:24 pm A used Boss ME-3 at $250 will cover most of your effects needs. That will leave you $250 for other pedals to put in its three loops to cover the things you don't feel it does well.
Oh no, that's not my direction. It's really missing the point. I am specifically not interested in any all in one menu driven sets of effects. I don't need three loops and I definitely don't need programming.

At this point, I'm not seeing anything that I think will top the IR-2 for a cab/amp simulator for me. I also like the input pedal posted earlier in the thread which is about $140 from the U.S. distributor. What I like about that is the silent muting and the XLR output. I couldn't tell if it had a 9V coaxial power input, which I would like. I'm not completely sold on the DI, but I'll keep thinking about it.

I will say that I'm not a fan of the tiny knobs on the IR-2.

If you don’t need the IR then you can get a nice tube preamp for same price as IR-2: https://www.sushiboxfx.com/product/unde ... celerator/

This will take pedals very well; I don’t know yet how IR-2 compares. But the all-in-one form factor does seem great.

There’s also the Simplifier; good condition version 1 pedals seem to be available around £100 now

I'm currently down with a Mooer Trelicopter at the end of the chain. Behringer EQ-700, which is a Boss GE-7 clone, for when that perfect tone is somehow not perfect anymore. Or you want to kick in something that sounds completely different.

I keep coming back to TC Electronic pedals for inexpensive, industrial grade, and sounding great. They're generally above your stated price preference, but I paid within it when I bought them used. And their QC is a lot better than most of the Shenzhen multibadges. Much more durable.

I think the MojoMojo is an underappreciated masterpiece. Extremely flexible, sounds wonderfully transparent, pairs great with the Mosky Silver Horse. I like the Cinders pedal, too.

I was going to also suggest the Hall of Fame and Flashback mini-pedals, because they're programmable via your phone, with a huge number of presets, but a quick google shows that they've gotten expensive. I think you'd have to shop hard to get a used one near your price point, but, again, incredibly flexible.

I don't own any cheap pedals unfortunately. I do have some donner patch cables, they are good enough that I bought multiple sets of them. One company I was pretty interested was effects bakery out of japan, they make some cool affordable pedals imo. *Never bought any as they didnt ship to
Hawaii at the time.

https://effectsbakery.us/

*I did make my own pedal board, which cost me next to nothing.
HomeBrewPedalBoard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GreyLion wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:37 amI think the MojoMojo is an underappreciated masterpiece.
I totally agree. It plays very well with pedals, preamps and amps, in all forms. I like to drive it a bit with a boost pedal, such as the LPB-1.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

imrae wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:00 am If you don’t need the IR then you can get a nice tube preamp for same price as IR-2: https://www.sushiboxfx.com/product/unde ... celerator/

This will take pedals very well; I don’t know yet how IR-2 compares. But the all-in-one form factor does seem great.

There’s also the Simplifier; good condition version 1 pedals seem to be available around £100 now
For me, it's the other way round. Preamps are the easiest thing to build. They can be hand wired, even dead bug style, and there are quite a few choices. I've made a FET based Fender preamp and a dual 12AX7 based preamp with high voltage plates. Cabinet sims, OTOH, are not. I have a Marshal sim that I made some years back and I have the JOYO preamp/sim combos. Modern digital IR sims sound better to me as long as the latency is low enough. So the IR2 seems like a good platform. I don't care much about its audio interface features, but, I really like that it has A/B channels and just remembers your settings for both after a few seconds. That's how I want to use the pedal board. No programming, no menus, no phones, tablets, or computers, just the pedalboard driving my studio mixer.

Right now though I'm distracted by not being happy with any of my guitars. I thought that I had managed to rejuvenate the 5-way in my Godin G-Series, but it's been sitting around and so, it seems not. Since I hate the humbucker in the bridge, I think that I'll just make/have made a custom pickguard for it as Godin does not have or know where I can get a replacement switch. They are non-standard. I could have an alternate pick-guard made that gives me the reverse slant single-coil in the bridge and a standard Fender 5-way.

I have the Moskey Silver Horse. The power jack is not flush with the case, but this seems to be pretty standard these days, the JOYO pedals are the same. Other than that it seems fine.

It looks like websmurfer is back! https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=websmurfer

Return to “Guitars”