Inflator as an Ableton M4L plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the update! I've been using this quite a bit since V1.

Would it be possible to have the device default at 0% instead of 100% as it is now?
That way, when you drag it in on a track it wont be an immediate boost.

How would you say the clipper differs from i.e. Standardclip in hard clip mode?

Thanks for the feedback zeep! I'll sort out the default setting of the dry/wet to 0.

Standardclip offers oversampling. I have not added that option to Conflator, at least not yet. Standardclip also has a visualisation of the peak shaving :)

edit: update done, initial dry/wet is now 0 in v2.01.

Yepp, thanks again also from me.

Still a little bit impressed about how good the Melda 'Inflator' holds up against the Original.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Yes Melda with the right curve(s) does the job! It's just a question of interface really. I now added gain matching which keeps the volume constant across all the curve settings, which does help in not fooling yourself with the increased amplitude quite so easily.

el davo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:28 am Thanks for the feedback zeep! I'll sort out the default setting of the dry/wet to 0.

Standardclip offers oversampling. I have not added that option to Conflator, at least not yet. Standardclip also has a visualisation of the peak shaving :)

Thank you for the Dry/Wet change!

Personally i don’t use oversampling when i just hardclip some peaks in Standardclip. Reason i asked was did a null test between Conflator and Sc clipping (no OS) some peaks of a drumbeat and it sounded very different. But no biggie. It was more out of interest.

Ok, hard to say not knowing the internals of Standardclip.. The clipping employed when activating the "clip" switch in Conflator is simple digital hard clipping ("set to threshold if over threshold" at 0 dB) before and after the soft saturation stage.

Even if the clipping methods were identical, using a clipper after Conflator (with clip not activated) would give different results, since Conflator then folds any signal over 0 dB back down again following a fixed "soft saturation" curve. You could possibly get the same result by putting a clipper in front of as well as after Conflator, if that makes sense..

zeep wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am
el davo wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:28 am Thanks for the feedback zeep! I'll sort out the default setting of the dry/wet to 0.

Thank you for the Dry/Wet change!

Personally i don’t use oversampling when i just hardclip some peaks in Standardclip. Reason i asked was did a null test between Conflator and Sc clipping (no OS) some peaks of a drumbeat and it sounded very different. But no biggie. It was more out of interest.
I had a look now and discovered a very simple bug in the input clipping stage - it should behave better now (v2.02 uploaded to the initial post). Thanks for letting me know!

It works great, thanks!

I like the clip stage to use as a stand alone too. You can drive into Conflator and it'll hardclip like Freeclip, Standardclip etc.
Great for shaving off some peaks.

If you ever decide to make the hardclip into a separate device with a graphical display of the amount of clipped signal, and with the ability to drive it with equal loudness. I'll be very welcome. You could charge a bit for it even.
Live lacks a handy vanilla hardclipper, it only has the softclipper from Glue.

Anyway, thanks again!!

Very cool. Thanks!

thank for the update :tu:

zeep wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:36 pm If you ever decide to make the hardclip into a separate device with a graphical display of the amount of clipped signal, and with the ability to drive it with equal loudness. I'll be very welcome. You could charge a bit for it even.
Live lacks a handy vanilla hardclipper, it only has the softclipper from Glue.
For clipping without a display, Ableton's Saturator in the "Digital Clip" setting will do the job.

I have not tested these, but there are m4l clippers that do give you a graphical display as well
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... rd-clipper
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... io-clipper

Enjoy :)

Is there a way to see , what version the M4L 'plugin' is..?

sokoleski wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:03 pm Is there a way to see , what version the M4L 'plugin' is..?
There could have been.. like a mouse-over text or small print on the device, but I did not think of that, sorry. If it has Clip and GainCmp buttons then it's 2.something. If the .amdx in the .zip you downloaded is dated 2022-06-30 it's the latest one.

el davo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am For clipping without a display, Ableton's Saturator in the "Digital Clip" setting will do the job.
I didn't know this. Thanks!
el davo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am I have not tested these, but there are m4l clippers that do give you a graphical display as well
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... rd-clipper
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... io-clipper
These work fine but i already have Kclip and Freeclip for graphical display clipping.

Cheers

Awesome - will check it out.
Used to use inflator back in ye olde days as a plugin on my TC Powercore - TC included it as part of the bundle
Always used to lust after the TC virus - but with the advent of the DSP Virus emu, am fully covered now for viruses (virii?)

Return to “Effects”