MPE modules for VCV Rack

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is so welcomed! I'm so excited to try it. Thank you!

Hi! I am using Cardinal which is the fully open source version of VCV2. Could you image making your modules available here? Kind regards Imaginus

Hi Imaginus,

this is the first request ever for porting my VCV plugin to Cardinal.

The reason why I didn't port my plugin so far is that supporting two nearly identical platforms would cost me a lot of time and effort. And I'm going to use my sparse time for debugging and coding new features of my modules.

If you want to port my plugin to Cardinal, feel free to do so :wink:

I am no programmer :-).But I think it is basically the same build. Only Cardinal is fully open source and free. And possible to run dawless with Mod Audio's devices stand alone lv2 plugin host. I think porting is mostly about licensing and permission than rebuild and so on. But this is not my field. Do you know of Cardinal?

Imaginus wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:10 pm Do you know of Cardinal?
Yes, I do. I ported some plugins from Cardinal back to original VCV and it was a tricky task.

Cardinal doesn't support ASIO on Windows and I could only get bad latency in standalone mode with my MOTU audio interface. For me, it's impossible to play the LinnStrument with Cardinal because of that latency. Original VCV in standalone mode works fine.

I don't use VCV as a plugin, because all host apps (Bitwig, Ableton and so on) are doing some damage on the incoming MIDI data. That's why I switched to VCV.

I`m quite new to MPE and synths in general, but eager to learn. Having most of my fun with Haken continuumini, but I feel the VCV enviroment is a good way to understand synthesis a bit deeper. So the the biggest issue with cardinal was latency? Does that mean you were able to create functioning MPE patches in Cardinal? Would you like to share the plugins you used or even the patch? I am struggling a bit, but maybe it`s just about my lack of knowledge. Thanks for your replies!

No, I'm not able to create functioning MPE patches in Cardinal. I simply connected a standard MIDI keyboard and realized that there was too much latency for my personal needs.

What platform are you using? Windows/Mac/Linux?
I can only speak for Windows. Here the original (and free) VCV works fine and I made a a dedicated MPE module for playing the LinnStrument.

Ok. I have registererd in VCV also now, because I want to try your module, but no luck yet these first 5 mins. :-) Do you have a functioning patch for VCV with your module?

I uploaded some LinnStrument related patches at https://patchstorage.com/author/ahornberg/

This one https://patchstorage.com/linnstrument-improvisation-i/ uses my module and only basic modules that come with VCV. You have to set your MIDI input device on my module and your audio output device on the audio module.

Thanks! This worked well!
Tried to upload it in Cardinal. Both Native (standalone as of 22.10 release or another recent) and vst3 plugin for ableton. It displays as your patch, but missing your plugin and the CV-mix plugin off course.
I am trying to reconstruct it using "midi host" and "midi cc host" modules, but not able to make it work. I guess that`s why you had to write your own Linnstrument friendly plugin? They do not have an eqvivalent to your volume output in Cardinal. I figure your X output is v/oct? And then you seem to not even use Y and Gate outputs in your patch.

I think I need to understand MPE more deeply to understand what your patch does.
Last edited by Imaginus on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

This patch https://patchstorage.com/vcv-linnstrument/ was a prototype for my module, but I fear it will not work in Cardinal.

In my example patch e.g. you can connect the Y-output to the filter Res-input. It is all up to you.

Why do you want to use Cardinal over the original VCV?

I was able to "substitute" your module using the "midi host" and "midi CC Host" in MPE mode. But I could only make it work in the Cardinal Native/standalone version, not as a daw plugin in Live11. Haven`t tried Bitwig yet, but you seem to find it unsucsessful. It does sound too far away from yours, but I couldn`t find a CV mix plugin which does the same the one in yours do.

The reason I am using Cardinal is because I am using a standalone Lv2 plugin host called MOD DUO X, from Mod Audio. This it has a Cardinal plugin which lets you transfer patches from Cardinal. Within the limitations of the CPU, which is much lower than my Mac.
So the idea is to be able to play Linnstrument in MPE through the MOD DUO X without a computer screen. The MOD DUO X is also serving as a midi host, so it let`s me connect the Continuumini to the Linnstrument with great success!

However in this moment I was not able to transfer the patch to the MDX. I think this has to do with the fact that my Cardinal version is new and the MDX plugin needs an update. I haven`t tried downgrading to check.

I'm sorry, I can't help here. I don't own a MOD DUO X or have any access to this device.

For sound generation, I recommend using a PC/Mac with lots of CPU power or EaganMatrix, the internal synth of the Continuum, which is extremly powerful and flexible.

If I had a Continuum, I would immediately switch to the EaganMatrix as my main sound design tool. I studied the manual of the EaganMatrix in depth and grabbed some great ideas for my VCV module (e.g. the outputs are called W, X, Y, Z), but most of this ideas I couldn'd code so far.

I think it should be possible to connect the LinnStrument directly to the Continuum Mini and get rid of a "MIDI host" in between to prevent your system from latency and jitter.

But maybe, for you it is just a challenge to get Cardinal to work the way you want it to.

FYI: Surge XT team are hard at work on VCV, with a current beta release. Since it's full synth it might not help with OP question, though I imagine you could make some use of its stellar MPE support in conjunction with other components.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”