How hard is it to play Guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:39 am Depends on whether you can sing.

Nah, most buskers I heard are better at strumming than I am - and those that weren't didn't sing well either...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:03 pm
Bombadil wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:39 am Depends on whether you can sing.

Nah, most buskers I heard are better at strumming than I am - and those that weren't didn't sing well either...
Pathetic. You should be able to play the drums as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjlZC0XQnz8

:o

:o :hail:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

This one is new (the other one is from six years ago):

https://youtu.be/RiD05a9sHAE?si=KJimvQeMBUB7wVfw

I can either sing well and play fair, or play well and not sing. I've always hated singing on stage. Off stage in a work environment I sing well but not for long. Singing well song after song in a full voice can be very draining. So I try to limit it to only a few songs a shift when I have down time.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It is hard until you develop calluses on your fingers.

To my surprise I read on an acoustic guitar forum today that some folks actually have to sand down those calluses because there is too much of it!
Even back when I practiced several hours a day I never experienced that.

I did. When I was homeless, I hung around a park, and probably played in the neighbourhood of 8 hours a day. My fingertips were greyish, with permanent indentations in them. I could rap my callouses on a hard surface and they'd be louder than my fingernails.
Knew someone else inthe same position who had the same issue.
I only wish Ihad those callouses these days.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Ive had to do it in the past, eventually you grow out of them fortunately. You have to
keep playing tho, or start all over again.
Wont take as long tho. :tu:

Steel string acoustic (heavy) is the way to
go, to grow through them as fast as possible.

Gaining mastery over a musical instrument comes down to age, attention span and dedication.

Kids can adapt to simple things and retain them with less repetition so long as they can maintain focus. Parents can work with teachers to set guidelines for practice time and material. If you have developed a sense of self discipline that you are willing to do the work and commit to the fact that practice means practice everyday the study material for a week whether you want to or not. You too can become better as an adult. Though it may take longer. I've known guys in there 60's and 70's who never played a musical instrument come to a sound level of mastery simply by committing to the process. Slowing down till they could execute something well rather than fast and building up tempo to speed. Yeah it's hard. I'm discovering that myself as I teach myself the linnstrument. Even though I play Guitar. Bass and Keys and have done so for decades in various cover bands and original ones.

Each day I focus on what I have to do. Revisiting the study material for the week. Each Day I get better than when I started out that day. Each week I try to learn something new and only slightly harder than the previous week. I do not concern myself with things that are beyond my abilities, all that does is lead to frustration over a currently unattainable goal.

In short focus your attention to the task at hand. Play it well before you move on to the next. A simple musical idea expressed properly will always hold more value than a vague poorly played piece. Also try to find a teacher or a fellow guitarist who is willing to listen to you. We aren't always the best critics of our own work.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Some of the neuroscience led ideas may be useful too. These give an indication of when things should be repeated to aid medium-term and long-term retention. I believe many schools and things like Duolingo use these ideas.

Return to “Guitars”