Softube CL1B - Worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As in the title, it's about Softube's CL1B Compressor.

Is it worth buying it if I want to achieve more professional hip-hop vocals?
What are your experiences with this compressor if you've owned it?

Chances are your daw's native compressor can do the job just as well as it can

I have the 1176 and it does a good job, but somehow it feels like it brings to the vocal more color/saturation than needed. I heard the CL1B is a very gentle compressor and maybe more preferred than the 1176.

If you like the 1176 compression but dislike the color it imparts, you may try the 1178 by Pulsar audio (often on sale, it is at 59 USD currently). Or maybe you can try the FET Compressor Mk II by Softube, in which you can disable the FET and transformer drive character to clean up the sound. As of today, both are cheaper than the CL1B.

Perhaps consider an Opto for more smoother vocal compression. If you like Softube maybe demo their LA-2A against the CL1B.

For hip hop agressive 1176 style compressor is good or make the LA2A - 1176 "trick" together with pultec eq!

I really like this compressor, not just for vocals. Something about the attack and release, it responds differently than other compressors, or has different curves. As kind of said above, you should be able to make any compressor work and get acceptable results though. Grab the demo and try it, see what you think yourself.

CL1 B is fantastic and one of my favourite vocal compressors but one word about it.

The newest version has two modes. The version 2 mode is really weird. It's very jittery with the threshold so you can get nothing and then full on compression. I have no idea what's going on with it.

Version one is super smooth and really flexible. Much easier to dial in.

Definitely adds some thickening to the sound but is still responsive enough to be punchy on busier vocals. It has all the benefits of an LA2A but without the lazy release.

sguyader wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:10 pm If you like the 1176 compression but dislike the color it imparts, you may try the 1178 by Pulsar audio (often on sale, it is at 59 USD currently). Or maybe you can try the FET Compressor Mk II by Softube, in which you can disable the FET and transformer drive character to clean up the sound. As of today, both are cheaper than the CL1B.
which of those saturation modes on 1178 is the equivalent one to hardware 1176 ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Brighton Opto Comp is smooth and gooey.........there is a demo
I would be more inclined to purchase when discounted, just sayin...........
https://www.londonacoustics.com/product ... tube-comp/

While Brighton is absolutely amazing sounding it comes with a HUGE caveat. You need to run it through Acustica Audio's platform which is not at all intuitive nor robust, in my opinion. Thus ultimately none of these things are easy to use as "go-to" processors. Rather they become specialty plugins for special occasions.. at least that's what has happened to me and several other people who have been riding the AA bandwagon for years.

If you can stomach the workflow compromises and the heavy CPU usage then it's for sure worth it sound wise. It's excellent!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:53 pm If you can stomach the workflow compromises and the heavy CPU usage then it's for sure worth it sound wise. It's excellent!
Yep.
I tried the Brighton demo recently, I thought was more efficient than Acustica's Acquas. The price is too high, it ought to be $29 - $40.

Return to “Effects”