Linux’s Pipewire 1.0 is ready for testing!!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:20 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:08 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:05 am
Think of it as making Linux as equivalent in ease of use for audio, as Windows and MacOs.
I was hoping you would say that Linux audio out of the box is now superior to Windows audio?

MacOs audio is already better than Windows audio, as it has built in multi-client support.
I was referring solely to the fact that, for a beginner, it is as easy to use as Windows and Mac is. But think about it—with Wireplumber and other tools, Linux has complete, infinite control over routing between each and every audio app—far beyond the routing capabilities of either Windows or Mac. In that sense, Pipewire is far superior. 🙂
A beginner will need also his Windows VST (since most developer didn't provide natif Linux ready VST), also that his audio device is well recognized (some are not usb audio compliant).

If Pipewire solve the pro audio issue, it is an improvement but for a beginner, he will need more.
I forgot to mention the issue with update/upgrade of his distro. I meant are we sure Pipewire will stay in place after 2 version of the distro or installable?

No one is forcing you to move to Linux. Stay on your Windows or MacOS system if you want. I have stated from the beginning that there is a learning curve involved. For those interested and willing to learn, there are many satisfying rewards. Beginners don’t stay beginners if they persevere and bother to learn about new things. Based on your comments, I would recommend you use a Mac, where you have few options and your hand is held for you throughout the process. Linux may not be the best option for you.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Can somebody x-plain to me why my updated Ubuntu has both pirewire and real jack demons running? I thought PW is a replacement for jack. And how does it even work, aren't they having a port clash?

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:59 pm Based on your comments, I would recommend you use a Mac, where you have few options and your hand is held for you throughout the process.
:lol:

pljones wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:30 amIf it effectively kills off JACK development
It does not.

There are still plenty of reasons to run a JACK-only environment in either pro-audio or embedded systems.
Also JACK still runs on Windows and MacOS as well. JACK is not going anywhere, just that pipewire provides a compatible implementation.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”