tech question - broadband

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I already use Pipex but a friend wants a broadband connection and I'm thinking that the Tiscali £15.99 'up to 150kbps' deal might be best.
It seems to me that the only time that having a faster connection would make a difference would be whilst downloading/uploading multiple files. Otherwise server speed is going to mean that the 128kbps/150kbps is plenty good enough.
Am I wrong?
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

And audio/video streaming I guess, but most 'hi-fi' mp3 streaming is usually about 128kbps.

I've just switched to Tiscali and it's not bad :)
I wanted the £15.99 deal but was told it's not available in this area :( so chose the £19.99 deal. The audio/video streaming is plenty fast enough for me. I've had one or two issues with Tiscali in general and have to say, the tech support sucks big time :x 'Don't' be tempted to use the tech support phone line, you'll end up being routed to what sounds like India. I've done this once and never again. The e-mail aspect of Tiscali is incredibly basic. It sounds like I'm knocking Tiscali but I switched from AOL dial-up and Tiscali is way better, even bearing in minds it's faults.
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

It does seem to me that 512kbps is overkill. But I'm signed up for a year so I'll have to stick with it for now.

I live in the middle of nowhere (Whitby, North Yorkshire) so the only broadband option I have is BT @ 512K. But I must admit, I'd never want to go back to anything slower.

Even though mp3s you stream might be around 128K, you still have the width to be able to listen to mp3s whilst downloading other stuff, and to have multiple computers connected.

David
nope...nothing!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”